Problems we’ve encountered:
-Presently one of the screens is missing a line…so I need to call Cochlear and figure what to do next.
- Sienna got a hold of her second set of rechargeable batteries that I alternate with, couldn’t find them for 2 weeks. Then one day I found them in the washer after I had washed a pair of her shorts. That stinker! Miraculously they still work.
- Sienna is beginning to wear her CI’s in the vehicle which is great because this is when we sing, we say the alphabet, we see the trains, the animals, etc. However, just this week, my mom took her out of the car and little did I know her CI had fallen on the ground. I thought I had it at home (being pregnant and all, my memory just isn’t there), anyway after 4 hours of looking at home and crying, I finally found them on the ground outside!
- Just in June we had to replace a processor after we needed to remove the battery to turn it off. That’s after we tried two replacement controllers to find out that it was the processor.
We wonder what it will be like later on, when Sienna’s older and she is dealing with these inconveniences. Every once in a while whisper to ourselves, life isn’t fair for our little girl who for the rest of her life will be dealing with all this equipment. Some of the questions and issues we have been dealing with are:
- The constant removal of them when she's in the pool or jumping on a trampoline (fun hearing moments she is missing out on)?
- How will she take swimming lessons?
- Will she ever be able to wrestle around with her sister and dad without having her CI’s fall off?
- When will she be able to play independently without me worrying about her CI’s falling off, losing them or breaking them?
All these questions come and go, they soon pass, and the worrying soon subsides as we realize that these very small inconveniences are small prices we pay for giving Sienna the gift of hearing.
We are currently dealing with the best way to have them fit on Sienna to make our lives easier and of course to make it easier on Sienna. We have been using the ear molds with the baby worn set-up which means every 3 months we need new molds, we are dealing with cords and they still require constant monitoring to ensure they are on properly. So for the last couple of weeks we’ve been trying the snugfit with the baby worn and I’m not a fan of it because they bend her ears and they still do no remain in place. So, thanks to Megan, Lily’s mom, I am ordering the headbands that a lady makes which she loves, loves, loves. Can’t wait to try them, we are willing to try anything at this point. If you have any other ideas for our little girl, please share!