Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Successful Surgery

Well we survived probably the most difficult part of the whole cochlear implant process... the surgery. Nothing could have prepared us for the long wait we endured at the hospital on the 10th of July. We were told it was going to be a long day but as the day passed, we couldn't help but worry as our little Sienna was in the hands of our ENT surgeon. Without doubt, we knew she was in the best hands possible, the Stollery Children's Hospital, and in the trust of our surgeon.

We arrived at the hospital at 6:00am, I gave her a kiss goodbye as her eyes slowly closed at 7:45am and then the waiting began. If it wasn't for my parents who hung out with us for most of the day, we probably would have not made it. They are the most understanding, caring and the most unselfish people I know... they are always there no matter what. We love you enormously for that. We finally seen our little sunshine at 6:30pm, 11 hours later. She was lying there, still groggy from the sedation, but alert enough to wave hi to my mom and dad. Rylee did very well with the entire surgery thing. When it was time to go, she kissed her older sister and sang her "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." Sienna woke up at 2:00am, she had pulled out her IV and thankfully the nurses decided that as long as we gave her enough liquids, they would not put the IV back. Thank goodness! For the rest of the night, she slept off and on in my arms.

The next morning, the ENT intern took the bandages off. I closed my eyes as he took the bandages off and to my surprise they didn't look bad at all. The incisions look amazing, I can't believe what great work they did. We would have been discharged Saturday morning but she had an awful cough. Because she had a runny nose before the surgery, she ended up developing a cough and she became congested after the surgery. We ended up staying one more night.

We bought maracas on this special day because in about 4 weeks, she will be hooked up and able to hear them!

A HUGE thank-you goes out to

the Stollery Children's Hospital
Sienna's ENT surgeon and her crew
the many emails, phonecalls, visits, thoughts and prayers from friends and family
but most of all...

to the angels from up above watching over our little girl!


  1. I am SO glad to hear it all went well! For me, the surgery was the hardest part ... anytime a mom has to let her baby go is heart wrenching. But now the waiting for activation and then the fun begins! I enjoyed the "quiet" time between surgery and activation ... I knew it was a silent world for Aiden, but I also knew it had to be and that we had A LOT of work/appts to do once he was activated! yay Sienna .. you're on your way to hearing sweet girl!

  2. I am sooooo very happy that the surgery went well. This update has brought tears to my eyes for several reasons! I thank God that he has watched over Sienna (and you and your family) during this time!!

  3. So happy to hear that surgery went fine. I can't imagine waiting 11 hours to find out how things went with the surgery. I was thinking of you that day. Lily has surgery in 2 1/2 weeks. I know I'll be a mess. Can't wait to hear how activation goes!

  4. Congrats on a successful surgery - I am sure that Sienna will get over the surgery much quicker than you will. Now, the wait until activation will seem like an eternity.

    Emma has been activated 7 months now and I really don't quite remember before she had a CI as it is now such a part of our routine. It's such an amazing technology. Enjoy the journey!

  5. Generosity, patience, positivity, to name a few of your amazing characteristics! Sienna is very blessed to have chosen you as her mother Jenny!

  6. Two weeks have gone by already - half way there! Good luck and I will be saying some prayers for you! It will be amazing when she plugs her ears because all of those wonderful sounds are "trop fort!" Keep strong! Keep smiling - you are on the most amazing journey!
    Jacquie Bouchard